Good Thoughts!

I try and journal every day and lots of time I write down quotes or thoughts from books I'm reading so that I don't forget them. It becomes a problem however when I want to rewrite the book in my journal because every single sentence is worth remembering. I have to restrain myself or I wouldn't get anywhere in the book and my journal might be considered plagiarism


Anyways I figured since some of the thoughts in this book are so good I should probably dedicate a blog to them. So here are some quotes from "Cries of the Heart" by Ravi Zacharias

  • "Once we understand that feelings are vital but not foundationalthen we delight in the eternality of God's truth and can endure the temporariness of felt distance"
  • "An expenditure of words without the income of truth leads to spiritual bankrupcy"
  • "When we are faced with disasters, when we are overwhelmed bydarkness, when things seem so dark that we doubt that we are part of the church or pleasing to God, then we should learn to reach for the Bible.We shouldn't let people distract us. Instead we should recognize that we live in a fallen world, The only reason we can see at all is the light of God's word."
  • "The main art in spiritual living is to know how to handle yourself. You have to take yourself in hand. You have to address yourself, preach to yourself, question yourself. The essence of this matter is to understand this self of ours, this other man with in us has got to be handled. Do not listen to him, turn him, speak to him, condemn, upbraid, exhort, encourage, remind him of what youalready know - or he will drag you down and depress you."
  • "Something has to die, either the lie to which the feelings are subject or the truth to which the feelings must conform."
  • "To live is sooner or later to witness or experience pain."
  • "When belief in God becomes difficult, the tendency is to turnaway from Him, but in Heaven's name to what? The Christian does not deny that a meanhingful answer must be found, but has the one who denies God found a better answer to the problem of evil?"
  • "Contrary to what might be expected, I look back on experiences that at the time seemed especially desolation and painful, with particular satisfaction. Indeed, I can say with complete truthfulness that everything I have learned in my seventy-five years inthis world, everything that has truly enhanced and enlightened my existence, has beenthrough affliction and not through happiness, whether pursued or attained. In other words, if it ever were to be possible to eliminate affliction from our earthly existence by means of sme drug or other medical mumbo jumbo...the result would not be to make life delectable, but to make it too banal or trivial to be endurable. This of course is what the cross signifies, and it si the cross more than anything else, that has called me inexorably to Christ."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolute Trust & Complete Responsibility

back-up, my back-up, my back-up plan!

A Melody That Sounds Like a Memory