we all need saving

I'm not someone who usually cries during movies.  However there is one "typical scene" that ALWAYS makes me tear up in a movie.  It's the scene where someone gets saved or rescued.  I'm not sure why but when that happens, I bawl my little eyes out.  I remember sobbing at the end of "Behind Enemy Lines" when  Owen Wilson (I forget the character's name) is rescued.  Here's the movie clip

Maybe somewhere deep inside me I'm wired to wish/dream/desire to be saved.  Subconsciously I relate to feeling lost and alone and desperately needing a Saviour.  Actually I believe all of humanity has this craving to be saved, but often we drown it out with other things (relationships, possessions, status, busyness etc.) 

I believe if we are willing to stop and pay attention to our heart, we will recognize the deep desire for a Saviour.  Tonight I was reading Psalms in "The Message" version and underlining the parts that stood out to me.  I realized that I gravitate toward the "rescue" Psalms as well.  The phrases about calling for help and being rescued pull at my heart.  I read the first 25 Psalms and I want to share with you the phrases/verses that stood out to me.  Perhaps you will remember how desperately you desire to be saved as well. 

"But if you make a run for God you won't regret it"

"I stretch myself out, I sleep.  Then I'm up again - rested, tall and steady."

"Real help comes from God."

"Once, in a tight place , you gave me room; Now I'm in trouble again: grace me! hear me!"

"He listens the split second I call to Him"

"At days end I am ready for sound sleep. For you, God, have put my life back together."

"Treat me nice for a change, I'm so starved for affection."

"At last God has heard my sobs.  My requests have all been granted, my prayers answered."

"God! God! I am running to you for dear life."

"God is a safe-house for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times."

"Be kind to me God, I've been kicked around long enough."

"God where are you when I need You?"

"God's Grace and Order Wins!"

"I've already run for dear life straight to the arms of God.  So why would I run away now?"

"He's in charge, as always, his eyes taking everything in."

"Quick God, I need your helping hand."

"Long enough God, I've carried this ton of trouble, lived with a stomach full of pain...I've thrown myself headlong into your arms - I'm celebrating your rescue."

"Without You, nothing makes sense."

"I'm staying on  your trail; I'm putting one foot in front of the other. I'm not giving up."

"Keep your eye on me"

"I sing to God, and find myself safe and loved."

"A hostile world! I call to God, I cry to God to help me.  From his palace he hears my call: my cry brings me right into his presence - a private audience."

"Every day I review the way he works; I try not to miss a trick.  I feel put back together, and I'm watching my step."

"Keep me from stupid sins," - those are the ones I need help with the most :-(

"God answer you on the day you crash."

"That clinches it - helps coming, an answer is on the way, everything's going to work out."

"the day we call, give us your answer."

"If you don't show up soon, I'm done for - gored by the bulls, meat for the lions."

"Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walked at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure."

"God is at their side; with God's help they make it."

"If I keep my eyes on God, I won't trip over my own feet. Look at me and help me! I'm all alone and in big trouble."

"Keep watch over me and keep me out of trouble; Don' let me down when I run to you."

"Use all your skill to put me together; I wait to see your finished product. God give your people a break from this run of bad luck."


Did any of those verses pull at  your heat?  Can you relate to the desire to be saved?  Are you also comforted by knowing that Jesus hears, answers, & comes to the rescue? I sure am! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolute Trust & Complete Responsibility

back-up, my back-up, my back-up plan!

A Melody That Sounds Like a Memory